The Dark Origins Of Valentine’s Day
Valentine’s Day did not originate in the United States, however its greatest influence comes from there. It could be compared to Thanksgiving and Black Friday; It is paradoxical because in Colombia the own is not celebrated as the foreign, even if the reasons are unknown.
In recent years, identity gaps have grown dramatically in Colombia. The tendency is to ignore the own culture and adopt others because they simply come from developed countries, something like if they were inferior.
Initially Halloween, then Black Friday, which was extended to one week out of nowhere, then Thanksgiving Day and now February 14 went from being the deadline to record layoffs, to being something like the second day of Love and Friendship.
But wait, does anyone know —why is Valentine’s Day commemorated?— It is to remember that in Colombia it has not been customary to celebrate it, but in recent years it has been done and thus demonstrating the desire to be adopted by the North American country.
This commemoration is made in honor of the priest Saint Valentine, whose office was exercised in Rome. He was characterized by defying Emperor Claudius II, who forbade the celebration of marriages in young people, justifying that single people were better soldiers.
Valentine considered the previous measure unfair and decided to celebrate marriages in secret. When the emperor found out, he ordered his imprisonment. Then on February 14, 270, Saint Valentine was executed1.
Today this date is commemorated in different countries and each year others are added. When seeing this inclination and analyzing the increase in annual consumption rates, questions for reflection arise, because in Colombia the day of love and friendship is still celebrated in September.
It is worrying to know if Valentine’s Day is celebrated knowingly and why its origin is not socialized in schools. Also, why not to commemorate tokens of love that DO NOT involve high consumption.
It is also important to mention that Valentine’s Day does not originate in the United States, however, its greatest influence comes from there. It could be compared to Thanksgiving and Black Friday; It is paradoxical because in Colombia the own is not celebrated as the foreign, even if the reasons are unknown.
Valentine’s Day in Colombia is a strictly commercial date, since this is the time that many still believe that it is the day of the teddy bears, something like the TED movie brought to reality(2).
It worries that despite not having covered the expenses of the Christmas and school seasons; Colombian society bites the bait of the big merchants and makes huge expenses on this date that for many only means “being in” or in fashion.
Finally, if you are one of those who did not know why Valentine’s Day is commemorated, tell us why do you celebrate it?
In the United States and Canada, some children exchange greeting cards known as Valentines3.
The body of the priest is kept in the Basilica of Saint Valentine (in the city of Terni, Italy) and every February 14 is commemorated1.
The chubby baby with wings and a bow and arrow that we call Cupid has been associated with Valentine’s Day for centuries. However, before he was renamed Cupid, he was known to the ancient Greeks as Eros, the god of love.
The iconic chalky heart-shaped candies that have been passed out lovingly every Valentine’s Day started out as lozenges.
History’s first valentine was written in perhaps one of the most unromantic places conceivable: a prison. Charles, Duke of Orleans wrote the love letter to his second wife at the age of 21 while captured at the Battle of Agincourt.
After Reading Activity
- True or False | Read each fact and state if is true or false.
- True or False | Read each fact and state if is true or false.
- Valentine’s Day originated in United States.
- Saint Valentine was executed on February 14, 270.
- In Colombia, Valentine’s Day is strictly a commercial day.
- The body of the priest is kept in the Basilica of Saint Valentine and every February 14 is not commemorated.
- Answer the following questions:
- When is Valentine’s day commemorated?
- Why was Saint Valentine executed?
- What did the Emperor Claudius II forbid?
- Where is the body of the priest kept?
- Where did Saint Valentine exercised his office?
- Search online:
- Name five countries that celebrate Valentine’s Day and briefly describe their celebration.
- What are the consumption rate for this day in your place of residence?
- How do you normally celebrate this day? If you don’t do it, tell us why?
- When did Valentine’s day first start?
- Who started Valentine?
- Listening — Listen and fill in the gaps
- This _____________ is made in ______ of the priest Saint _________, whose office was __________ in Rome. He was characterized by ______ Emperor Claudius II, who ________ the celebration of marriages in ________ people, justifying that _______ people were better ______.
- It is also ________ to mention that Valentine’s Day does not _______ in the _______ States, however, its _______ influence comes ______ there. It could be ______ to ________ and Black Friday; It is ______ because in Colombia the own is not celebrated as the ______, even if the _______ are unknown.
- Student Survey
- Write five GOOD questions about this topic in a table. And get at least 20 people to answer them. Questions must be multiple choice with only one possible answer.
- Free writing
- Now that you know something about Valentine’s origin, write a personal opinion about this celebration. (at least 150 words)
- Vocabulary: underline the unknown words and use an English dictionary to find out their meaning. (at least 10 words)
- Use the internet to go deeper on Valentine’s history, and write five facts that were not in the text.
- Make a Valentine’s card for someone special. Use https://www.canva.com/ or a similar site.
- Write a one paragraph opinion about Valentine’s day. Post it on your facebook (tag your teacher) or on the comments of my Youtube video.
- Write an invitation card for people to commemorate Valentine’s Day without spending money.
Very interesting teacher
Excellent, Thank you.
i think that text is really true, in Colombia the people celebrate in two ocassions lol.
We are not authentic, in February it is celebrated in the United States
Thank you teacher, i think this is a complete article and make me practice Ingles.
I really want to find others.
Me gusta mucho porque me hace esforzarse
El dia de san valentin es .algo muy bonito .y se debe celebrar.
Valentine’s Day is a very special day for many, where the importance of love is highlighted and that despite the belief of its commercial origin, comes from much earlier its name is due to the death of Valentin, A priest sentenced For secretly celebrating marriages of young people in love
I really liked reading and very interesting teacher